Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Yellow Cupcake Filled with Creme

I made cupcakes for my most recent Wilton class, and then our instructor forgot that she told us to bring in undecorated cupcakes. I stayed after class for about twenty minutes trying out her Wilton Cupcake filling frosting tip. Apparently you can only buy this tip in a Cupcake Decorating set at the store, though it looks like they sell it individually on the Wilton website (but it's sold out at the moment).

I tried out a new Yellow cake recipe. I am still in search of a nice fluffy, light, moist yellow or vanilla recipe. This one? Not it. These little suckers tasted more like pound cake. Don't get me wrong, I love pound cake. I just was not looking to create a pound cake cupcake.

So, I brought them into class and used the Wilton tip to fill them. My instructor told me they probably wouldn't hold much filling for two reasons: 1) they were super dense & 2) the cupcakes fill more when they are still warm. I figured I'd give it a shot anyhow because I wanted to see how the frosting tip worked. As you can see below, it did not fill the cupcake hardly at all. Oh well, next time I will do it while they are warm.

I decorated them at home, colored some of the creme purple to serve as the base frosting and then put some of my buttercream roses on top.

I think the decorations came out pretty nicely (though my roses need a bit of work still), and disappeared from my office in record time.

1 comment:

Kate said...

I LOVE the colors, so pretty.

So, are you getting that kit then? I imagine you're tempted to stockpile lots of neat tools to play with and expand your skills.

Mmm, I want a cupcake so bad now. Dang.