Thursday, September 04, 2008

Gold Medal Winner!


A few weeks ago I participated in a cook-off at a friend's BBQ. There were several categories, but it should be no surprise to anyone that I chose the dessert category.

When I think BBQ, summer, and outdoors- I think fruity drinks, of the alcoholic variety. I'd had my eye on the Margarita Cupcake recipe from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World for quite some time now, and thought this was the perfect occasion.

If you've ever cooked with a Vegan recipe or tried Vegan desserts before they can have a grainy texture that might turn off non-Vegans. I was a little worried about this, but the recipe (and the book for that matter) has great reviews all over the internet. So, I went for it.

Both the cupcakes and the frosting have lime and tequila in them. My frosting wasn't strictly vegan as I used butter (but you can definitely make it vegan frosting).

The cupcakes were a huge hit at the BBQ and as you can see- I won the dessert category. I don't have photographs of the cupcakes because they were a melty divided mess (having had to be cut into pieces to allow everyone to taste them). Just picture a light green frosting with a "rim" of green sugar sprinkles and a candy lime wedge (also not vegan) as a garnish. Mmmmm.

There were only five dessert entries, but given that the rest of them were chocolate, I'm pretty proud of myself for finishing first. My medal is hanging up in my kitchen as inspiration during all future baking sessions.

2 comments:

Kate said...

Adorable, you winner, you! But next time, take pictures before you leave your kitchen! Those cupcakes sound both delicious and pretty!

Beth said...

yay! you got your gold medal! bet that was exciting for an Olympics fan like you.

Your cupcakes sound yummy - wish there were pictures. I hope you are able to make a go of some semi-professional baking (though I know you can't use your own place without some serious inspections and stuff). That's what I would love to do in my next life.

also! the word verification for me is uikwtf. HAHA WTF!