Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Buckeye Vanilla Cupcakes

(click image to enlarge)

In honor of Sugar High Friday I decided to make cupcakes with buckeyes baked in the center.

I baked these cupcakes in honor of last weekend's Ohio State game (which, was miserable for OSU fans).

I used Amy Sedaris's vanilla cupcake recipe for the base of the cupcake. I put a bit of the batter into the cupcake liners and then put one of my homemade buckeyes into each liner.


After that, I finished filling the cupcake liners with batter (until 2/3 full) and baked them according to the recipe.

Then I frosted the cupcakes with vanilla buttercream. I only made 12 of the cupcakes with buckeyes inside, the remainder I made plain vanilla.

Unfortunately, in trying to turn the remaining cupcakes a nice scarlett color I totally overmixed the batter. Which lead to cupcakes that were extremely dense and looked more like red hockey pucks. They still taste great, they just don't look nice and puffy.


After frosting, I topped some of the plain vanilla cupcakes with the mini buckeyes I made last week. Yum!

No comments: