Friday, April 03, 2009

Red Sox Purse


Red Sox Purse
Originally uploaded by Cup O'Cake Designs
I thought today I would post one of the sewing projects I worked on for a client this past holiday season.

I know that lately the blog has become pretty focused on cupcakes (and baking in general), but I am still doing some other craft projects and this was a great one.

I was contacted and asked to help create a special holiday gift for a client's grandmother. As you may have guessed from the photograph, grandma loves the Red Sox*. However, poor grandma's t-shirt was no longer wearable as the player (Coco Crisp) was traded.

I used the t-shirt along with coordinating colored fabric to create a one of a kind hobo bag for grandma. The back of the bag featured the numbers from the t-shirt, cut in such a way that you cannot tell they belong to an ex-Red Sox player.

The bag has an inside pocket (handy for a cell phone or other small items) and a snap closure (as requested by the client).

I think that sewing projects like this are my favorites. I know I have at least five t-shirts laying around that I don't want to toss or give away, but that I don't (or can't) really wear any more. What better way to keep them in your rotation then by up-cycling them into a cute bag.

Have a shirt you'd like up-cycled? Email me!

*Full disclosure: I am a Cleveland Indians fan, so please spare me the Yankees/Red Sox debate.

1 comment:

Kayla Moore said...

What would it take for you to replicate this design with a long strap (so I could wear it around my shoulder comfortably - messenger bag style). I can supply the Red Sox t-shirt and would like their B logo on the back instead of a number. I've got the materials if you think you could make it happen? I am super super interested in this and I am amazed by your work!! If you could please contact me, that would be fantastic. kayla.moore(at)gmail.com